[Public-List] Void in keel? Possibly or not?

Anders Bro via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sat Jan 31 14:05:55 PST 2015

Hi Wesley,

I also have a Pearson Ariel, and that one (also an Alberg design) does
have a void in the area that you are concerned with. In my version of
the Ariel it was "sealed" with what looks like polyurethane foam. When I
went to the handbook that was written by Ariel owners, they mentioned
that this foam filled void could get waterlogged by slow seeping/osmosis
through the fiberglass. Last summer, I did some investigations, and
found that sure enough the void was totally soaked! I opened up a large
hole in the side of the keel just forward of the rudder attachment
points, and as low as I could go, and scooped out huge quantities of
waterlogged foam. I was concerned more from the perspective of freezing
and thus damaging the integrity of the hull/keel. Interestingly this is
not the first time this has been a issue with this particular boat, as I
also found a lot of filled holes near the base of the keel that clearly
had been used for water drainage in the past. (foam had been re-injected
as well).

As a more permanent fix, I will be installing drain plug so that when I
haul the boat I can drain it before the freezing weather hits. I will
also get rid of the foam and thereby a very heavy sponge in the keel!
(hm... would this add stability?!)

I hope this experience is of some help. Oh - by the way you should be
able to tap the keel and identify the location of the void by the more
boomy hollow sound.

Anders