[Public-List] The dangers of gasoline.

Stephen Gwyn via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Jul 27 07:31:19 PDT 2015

Hi,

I was off cruising, so I've only just read the discussion last week
about the dangers of gasoline. While gasoline is dangerous let's
keep it in perspective. It's important to remember that there is a dangerous
volatile hyrdocarbon that is responsible for a large fraction, possibly
the majority of boating fatalities, far more than gas fires or propane
explosions. It's probably on all our boats. It's definitely on mine: alcohol.
And while I hear lots of sailors saying, "I won't allow gas on my boat,
too dangerous" I never hear anybody say "No wine/beer/gin and tonic for me
thanks". More often it's "But where has the rum gone?

SG

Stephen Gwyn                       | Tel: 1-250-363-3136
Canadian Astronomical Data Centre  | Fax: 1-250-363-0045
Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics | Cell: 1-250-885-6969
5071 West Saanich Road             | E-mail: Stephen.Gwyn at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Victoria, BC, V9E 2E7, Canada      | http://astrowww.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn/