[Public-List] Running rigging, I thought I had seen...

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sat Jul 25 18:43:05 PDT 2015

Maurice,

On 7/24/15 10:37 AM, via Public-List wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Hope summer and sailing are enjoyable.  A quick question, I recall
> seeing on the site a section on running rigging dimensions with info
> on sizes and length of lines for halyards and sheets but can’t seem
> to find it now!  Would anyone know if I invented this and/or have a
> quick reference on dimensions and length.  Looking mostly to rig up a
> spinnaker but it’s also a good reference

I'm sorry the "collaborate" portion of the website is down. I won't bore
you with the long story of why.

Here's content from that page:

== Line sizes and lengths ==
The question comes up from time to time about the size and length
appropriate for the running rigging of an Alberg 30.  Here's a page to
enter your thoughts.  Include information about how you rig it, if
appropriate.  Please include your boat number, as sometimes there are
differences between new and old boats.  As always, use your own
judgement rather than trusting information posted here.

=== Main Halyard ===
  * I used '''3/8" all rope''' halyard. Mine is 85 ft long. That's 70 ft
for up and down the mast, and an extra 15 for leading aft and for enough
to splice both ends (which I'll need to do when I end-for-end it). The
rope is Yale Vizzion, which is a blended vectran/polypropylene core and
polyester cover. It has a nice hand and splices easily. Breaking
strength of 4300lbf and 4.1lbf weight per 100ft. -- J Bergquist

=== Mainsheet ===
  * '''90' of 7/16" dacron'''.  This is enough to reach the aft end of
the cabintop with the boom pushed out against the shrouds.  I've got a
4:1 purchase, and the eye is sewn, not spliced. -- GeorgeDinwiddie, #543

=== Genoa Halyard ===
  Led Aft
  * '''80' of 7/16" dacron'''.  The eye is sewn, not spliced. --
GeorgeDinwiddie, #543
  * '''5/16" yale crystallyne''' (vectran core 7200 lbf breaking load a
bit more expensive) for the jib halyard -- J Bergquist

=== Spinnaker Halyard ===
  Led Aft
  * '''80' of 7/16" dacron'''.  I found this long enough to go from the
bow pulpit, to the masthead, down to a turning block, back to the aft
end of the cabin and down to the bridge deck. You could probably get by
with 3/8", but the larger line is easier to grip.  The eye is sewn, not
spliced. -- GeorgeDinwiddie, #543
  * '''5/16" vizzion''' for the kite halyard -- J Bergquist

=== Spinnaker pole lift ===
  * '''48' of 3/8" dacron'''.  The pole is handled at a cleat on the
mast. -- GeorgeDinwiddie, #543

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org