[Public-List] Head sail furler

Jonathan Bresler via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Jul 28 08:32:38 PDT 2015

Allen,

Have a Furlex S200 that came with #262.   I am NOT used to roller furlers.
  Have been using hank on sails on TC William's Argo #247 and MIke
Nikolich's Skybird #550 for more than fifteen years without problems.

The issues that I have been encountering with the Furlex S200 is that

   - too much tension on the genoa sheets while furling causes the furler
   to stick and stop turning when pulling on the furling line....the tension
   on the sheets is intended to create a tighter, cleaner furl.
   - too little tension, or no tension, on the furling line when deploying
   the genoa can allow the furling line to become fouled inside the drum.
   Last Friday had an incident in which the furling line appeared to have
   overrides within the drum and a bight of line became stuck between the line
   guard and the bottom of the drum.  Was able to free it though a combination
   of rolling some, unrolling some, pushing and prodding the roller line while
   uttering the appropriate remarks.

Must admit that rolling up the genoa at the end of a sail is much faster
and easier than unhanking and folding the sail.

Would suggest that you might

   - find a number of folks with a variety of roller furlers and sail with
   them before committing funds, and
   - consider the PracticalSailor review of roller furlers.  Appears that
   the August 2009 issue may be the most recent review.

Jonathan

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Wes Gardner via Public-List <

> Profurl and Furlex are the only two I have experience with.  I bought my
> current boat with a Furlex - works every time...
>
> Wes
> #196 Griffin's Faith
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 8:11 AM, Allen LoCicero via Public-List <
>
> > I want to add a furler. I was considering a Facnor LS130. Does anyone
> have
> > any experience with Facnor orcould you recommend another?
> > AllenA30 520

Jonathan M Bresler
Alberg 30 #262
Annapolis/Eastport MD