[Public-List] bridge, locks clearance

Don Campbell via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Jul 30 15:42:15 PDT 2015

I have transited  the Welland Canal 36 times (with all bridges  capable,
when lifted, of clearing freighters, but when down some  are as close to the
water as 15 feet). To the top of my radio aerial I have allowed 42 feet.
This has meant that the train bridge crossing the canal  has had to be
lifted for the Al30. It has a nominal clearance of 40 feet. I have never hit
a bridge,  but wait until the bridgemaster gives the green light for travel.
The best advice I can give is to communicate with traffic control if it a
big canal system, or the lockmaster or bridgemaster if it is  a smaller
system, to check the variability and possibilities of water level
adjustments before you or they get into trouble. I have also seen one
freighter onto which they dropped a bridge to the deck, resulting in a
massive fire which was beyond the reach of normal fire equipment, and hence
the loss of that ship. Not a pretty sight (or smell). Care before is better
than picking up pieces.
Don