[Public-List] furlers

Gordon White via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Jul 31 14:40:07 PDT 2015

We are just ashore after a week on a chartered 33 ft boat on Penobscot
Bay, Maine.
Lots of cold and fog, but Wednesday was beautiful.

     However, the furler malfunctioned, wrapping the furl line around
the headstay below the drum. Not sure why, but the line feeder went
around rather than staying fixed.  Had to pull the furl line out of its
rollers, unwrap it and then re-wrap on the drum. Tedious, but not
dangerous. Had we been in strong winds or tight quarters, being unable
to furl would have been dangerous.

     Also, we had a lot of fog. Running the narrow channel off Bass Head
Light was  solid fog. Never saw the light, which is quite close there.
The boat had radar but radar does not help a lot with bouys.

    Luckily I had brought my own Lowrance map plotter which saved our
bacon. We had set waypoints and we put the course. pointer on the "X"
and ran through the dredged channel, hitting both Morse A buoys on the nose.

     Really great on several foggy days.

- Gordon & Mary Anne White

/Brigadoon II/