[Public-List] Norscot shaft seal--lip seal replacement?

Anders Bro via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Jun 24 05:29:59 PDT 2015

Hi Randy,

You might want to pass by my note here, as I don't have any experience
with replacing this seal in particular, but I have rebuilt a few
engines  in which shaft seals are used, and the experience that I
gleaned from these efforts may be pertinent?

In older engines (think pre-70s), the shaft seals could be string
packings that were threaded into a cap. Newer engines use a seal that is
a part of a steel cup that gets pressed into the bore that surrounds the
shaft. (There is an easier configuration in which the lip seal is a
rubber piece with no steel can - much easier to remove.) I expect that
this is what your seal is like? In any case, the first job is to get the
seal out with a hooked tool (that will definitely ruin the old seal)
that you can typically get at Napa Auto Parts or some such car store. It
is a bitch to get it out with the shaft still in place, as if you score
the shaft, you have permanently made a leaking seal as the shaft is no
longer smooth in the area of the contact seal. Putting the new seal in
is pretty easy as long as (this is important) you tap it in straight.

BUT! (isn't there always one?) One old timer who had done a lot of
rebuilds passed this perspective along to me: Why does a seal go out? If
everything is aligned and concentric, there is no reason for a seal to
wear. (The only exception to this is maybe if the seal is not lubricated
or if it is made of inferior material so that it rots, cracks, etc.) On
the other hand if the shaft develops some play then the seal will
eventually leak. So a leak in a shaft seal may be an indication of worn
bearings. And if you have worn bearings, then a new seal won't last too
long, and you might be advised to take the unit out and do a thorough job.

In light of this thought, you might want to consider putting a dial
gauge on the shaft and trying to wiggle the shaft (perpendicular to its
axis), and if you get more than 0.001" movement (I really don't know
what the spec would be, so this is a guess on my part) then you might
want to replace the shaft bearings as well (yes, pulling the tranny - No
fun :-( ).

I know these thoughts are not specifically directed towards the 3MB, but
I hope they help you assess your needs.

Do tell us how it goes! (and all power to you)

Anders