[Public-List] Do we need halyard winches?

Don Campbell via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Jun 26 18:15:10 PDT 2015

Brent;
     There are a couple of things that matter when it comes to sailing.The
first is safety and the second is the transfer of wind power via sails to
the boat so it moves through the water to the best of your ability.  You
will find that being part of a race crew improves your sailing because small
details matter. Racing shows you the fine points of making a boat move.
There will be a time when you want to beat a storm and then you will
appreciate getting the most out of the boat you have. Safety first.  Many
skippers seem to want to go to rope halyards and unless one spends  a hefty
chunk for very low stretch line , these lines sag.  Since our mast is about
34 feet from the deck to the sheave, (or 408 inches) a 1% stretch from the
sheave to the deck is 4". It will  be more than 3" if you use a mast mounted
winch and more like 5" if you go the the cockpit.  I still use wire for that
very reason. If the halyards  do not sag, sometimes the clutches let things
go and the same result ensues. Neither is very good for sail shape. That
kills power transfer. Trying to get sails back to position without winches
is not easy , even if you go head to wind, and the older one gets, the more
difficult it becomes. Mechanical advantage is always that, an advantage.  I
have found that it is always safer to use mechanical advantage than to not
use it,  or lose it by choice of removing gear.  Nonetheless, it is always
your choice and no-one else matters.
Don Campbell