[Public-List] Soda blasting.

Don Campbell via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Mar 13 12:22:56 PDT 2015

I did not do the job myself but hired a contractor who came about 65 miles
one way with the equipment. At the time he charged me $800 CDN, but that was
2 men, machines, and materials for about 6 hours because of the drive, - in
1997. (That is why I suggested  the fire reclaimers - they would have been
much closer!) It also meant I did not get any of the heavy metals or soda in
my system, eyes, lungs or skin,  which I think is a major priority for my
safety. This is not a process that relies on abrasion like sandblasting. It
is a process that relies on an explosion of crystalline soda which makes
dust. The rain was really good that day. The blasting soda is a much bigger
crystal- about 75 microns- compared with the fine stuff in Cow Brand in the
refrigerator. However, the blast from the system is so faint, you cannot see
it, you only see the materials coming off the hull.  I have electron
microscope pictures of the crystals somewhere but the crystals are fairly
large and very irregular in shape.
    They did say that they used the same equipment for sandblasting but had
to have the ability to cut down flow very considerably because the weight
and volume is so different from sand. As I recall we used about 2 1/2 bags
of soda, and they said it would have been over 600 lbs. of sand for the same
job. Very different clean-up volumes!
Don