[Public-List] Barrier Coat

Michael via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Mar 15 05:13:17 PDT 2015

Yes. It's hard to say whether the treatment does any good, blister wise.
You'd have to leave one half the hull uncoated as control, but no
blisters on Checkmate since coating. Then again, there wasn't much of a
problem before.
It's a two part epoxy, though, I figure it must be protection from
something.
To really see if there are any blisters, I use a soft pad grinder to
give the old bottom paint a once over. Even small blisters show up readily.
My boatyard here is tightening up controlling bottom paint dust. They
are requiring a vacuum arrangement and drop cloth screening now. I don't
know how a blasting operation can be contained without putting the
entire boat into a paint booth. Costs are really going up, which can
justify the barrier coat application since you are going down to gel coat.

MichaelGrosh