[Public-List] Head (was: Seeking tribal wisdom)

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri May 1 08:55:30 PDT 2015

Hi, John,

The discussion may be easier to follow if you use separate messages for
separate issues. Also, if you reply to an unrelated message, many email
clients will hide the topic under that one.

On 4/29/15 6:22 PM, John Johnston via Public-List wrote:
> Second question - my vessel had plumbing of some degree at one point,
> but not for a long time. I have a tank, some nasty old hoses, and, it
> seems, the memory of a working head. Some threaded fixtures to
> accommodate something. The discharge thru-hull has been removed and
> plugged, and there is no holding tank. I also find no evidence of any
> pumpout access. I am currently in the water and would prefer to not
> haul out at least until Fall, but would like to install a proper head
> with both holding tank and discharge capabilities. Any reason I could
> not do that from within ( not the discharge thru-hull), and have
> working head fed from my water tank and temporarily limited to a
> holding tank, the rest of the system to be installed when I next haul
> out?
> And is there a consensus of any kind as to what the best system for
> the Alberg would be?

To my knowledge, the three most common approaches are fixed head with
holding tank, porta-pottie, and composting toilet. There are boats with
the old Mansfield TDX treatment system. Most of these were installed as
a group purchase in the early 80s, I think. Parts are no longer
available for these, so they generally function as a small holding tank
if they function at all.

There's a little information in http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Head/
but no one has written up the composting toilet in an article. You could
probably find some info by searching the mailing list (using the search
box on the website). Were I to do
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Head/RaritanNewer/ over, I'd make some
small changes to the shape of the plumbing to avoid horizontal runs as
much as possible.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org