[Public-List] Gooping up the stern tube

Kris Coward via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon May 4 13:18:29 PDT 2015

So I'm in the midst of changing the cutlass bearing (as well as a bunch
of other things) while I've been off the boat for the winter (yes, I
know it's not winter anymore), and have come across a question:

When I was unscrewing the casting that holds the cutlass bearing from
the stern tube, the stern tube came out of the hull, instead of
unscrewing from the casting. I've since gotten those 2 pieces apart with
a vise grip and pipe wrench, but am thinking ahead to when I'll have to
put it all back together.

In particular, I'm thinking about how to fix the tube back in the hull
at the right depth, and I'm thinking of smearing it with 5200 before
jamming it in so that it stays put the next time the bearing needs to be
changed. Where I'm sensing some difficulty is getting the tube/hull
interface properly gooped up without having the goop also get into the
threads joining the casting and tube (as I'll want to gum them up later
with something a little less permanent).

So of course, I'm looking for suggestions (preferably from people who
have had to seal their tube back in place and can describe what did(n't)
work for them). I have a hunch about something that *might* work, but
I'll trust hard-earned experience over hunches any day..

Thanks,
Kris

--
Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/