[Public-List] Motor Oil

James Allocco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue May 5 06:02:56 PDT 2015

Hi Folks,

Let's hope we are all prepared for a great  season of sailing.  Carole and
I hope to visit the Chesapeake sometime this summer/fall for at least 3
weeks, just not sure when.

I just download the Atomic 4 Specifications list that Stephen Gwyn
graciously provided. It is very interesting and informative. Under
Lubricants Hess recommends SAE 10-40 for less than 50 degrees F and
SAE 20-50 for above 50F.

Also they recommend a list of Motorcycle Oils and note to never use ANY
oil additives.

In the 23 years I've had Barchetta Mia, I have only used HD 30 wt. in
whatever name brand I could find.  I occasionally add  Marvel Mystery
Oil as per Moyer.  We seldom sail in temperatures less than 60 degrees. I
am curious as to what others use and what they think about using Motorcycle
Oil.  I was not aware of the difference.

Jim Allocco