[Public-List] Used mainsail

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed May 20 15:03:44 PDT 2015

Brent,

On 5/20/15 5:21 PM, Brent Higgins via Public-List wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I own #316 and sail out of Middle River, MD. First, I want to say
> thanks to everyone who contributes to this list. As a first time boat
> owner, your emails are super valuable, informative and entertaining.
> I have 3 questions I'm hoping the group can help with today. - Does
> anyone have a mainsail they no longer use and would be open to
> selling? If so, please email me separately, at BrentonGL at yahoo.com.
> The previous owner of my A30 left the mainsail on the boom for I
> don't know how long, and time and the wasps ate giant holes into it.

Used mains are hard to come by, and there's no other boat that's close
enough in size to fit. (Used jibs, or jibs build for another boat that
will work, are much easier to find.)

If you can't find a used one, Check Bacon's in Annapolis. They get new
sails made in the east, but handle making sure the customer is satisfied
locally.

> - I have jib sheet tracks inboard of my toe rail port & starboard,
> but they are flush with the deck so no car can slide on. i thought
> maybe a spacer is supposed to go under the stainless steel track, but
> there is nothing. Is this normal for a 1968? I can't figure out how
> it would function without replacing the track, so a car can slide
> onto it.

There should be a spacer under it, like on the toe rail tracks. The
original spacers were teak, and crumble after a long time. Most people
don't use the inner tracks much, if at all, so a previous owner may have
just bolted them down without the spacer to stop it from leaking.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org