[Public-List] chainplates

Glenn Brooks via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Nov 3 18:01:33 PST 2015

Wes,  no reason to bond the chain plate.  Far better to reinforce the knee for the forward lower chainplates with several additional layers of fiberglass mat and roving, then drill, bed and reinstall the chainplates with 5/16" bolts.  I actually anchored all my upper chainplates with one 3/8" bolt, and then added 5/16" bolts.  The biggest risk after reinstalling the chainplates with larger bolts is that the knee might pull away from the hull. Hence the preventative measure of adding DG reinforcement.

It's perfectly fine, actually necessary, to bed the thru deck area where the chain plates emerge from the deck, with 4200 or 5200. The material flexes a bit and keeps out water- preventing rot and delamination in the knees and bulkheads.

Glenn B.

Sent from my iPad