[Public-List] MAST SUPPORT BEAM

Mike Lehman via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Nov 6 07:28:09 PST 2015

Chip

This has not been an issue on the liner boats.

There are 2 things that caused the beams to fail on the older boats:
    1. the glue gave up. The epoxies today are much better
    2. Whitby drilled two holes directly in the center of the beam from the
underside to countersink the bolts holding the deck step in place. The
countersink holes are more than half way through the beam and are large
diameter. This is where most of the stress is on the beam and these holes
severely weakens the beam at the most critical location.

The 2 aluminum plate reinforcement method was developed many years ago by
Bruce Rankin, owner of #244 LinGin, and professor of naval engineering at
the U.S. Naval Academy. It has proven to be a permanent repair and has
withstood the stresses created on boats that that heavily raced in heavy
weather.

I have personally performed this repair on 10 or so boats and it usually
takes about 10 hours from start to finish. There is information of the
Alberg 30 website on how to do this at
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/deckbeam/repair/.

For those who would like to cut your own plates, I do have a paper template
that I can copy and mail. A word of caution, I have found that each boat is
slightly unique. So I would use the paper template to create a 1/8" plywood
template and fit it to your boat before cutting aluminum.

The job is not difficult, and can be performed with the mast up (loosen the
shrouds) and with the beam already deflected. I use a screw-type house jack
(like you would find in a basement) and crank up the deformed beam back to
original curvature. Then I go to the doctor and spend $50 for the visit, so
I can get a prescription for anti-inflammatory medicine to relieve the pain
of the deltoid bursitis that I just created in my shoulders.

So have at it!