[Public-List] Engine raw water intake

Jonathan Bresler via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Nov 29 05:53:58 PST 2015

Kirk,

Thank you.  Good to hear from someone that has installed the slotted
thruhull.

In looking at the Groco slotted thruhull (
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|2234255|2234259&id=2628334),
the width of the slotted "basket" in the 1/2" size is 2-1/2", in the 3/4"
size its 3".  The Groco IBVF Flanged Adapter (
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|2234261|2234267&id=2675734)
that threads onto the thruhull has three bolts that go through the hull.
The diameter of the bolt circle for the three bolts is 3-1/8".  Seems that
the bolts and the basket will end up on top of each other regardless of how
the flanged adapter is turned inside the hull.  (the smallest flanged
adapter is 3/4"...no 1/2" available)

What did you do ?
Use the IBVF and not install the bolts ?
Install bolts through the backing blocks only ?
Skip the flanged adapter and screw the valve directly on the thruhull ?
Another option?

Jonathan

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Kirk Little via Public-List <

> I'm using the same Groco slotted through-hull  linked in the previous
> post.  I would recommend it in addition to a strainer in the engine room
> just before the pump (for easy access and cleaning).  Stuff still grows in
> both but at least you can easily sea the condition of the through hull and
> clean it with a little screw driver, neither have ever been fully blocked.
> Amazing how much crap/fish/shrimp can accumulate in the strainer without
> blocking the water.
>
> -Kirk on Salsa #504, still in Panama

Jonathan M Bresler
Alberg 30 #262