[Public-List] (no subject)

Dominic Amann via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Oct 13 09:29:57 PDT 2015

Not wishing to cause controversy but...

It is not really a question of whether we should switch to a web-based
forum, but rather when. Mailing lists appear to be a dying phenomena. We
all know they work, and we all know they have limitations. These include

   - no straightforward image upload.
   - having a somewhat awkward system for accessing archives.
   - not having a clear category system.
   - requiring a fair bit of oversight.

We can continue to work around these things as has been done since
inception.

I have used mailing lists since the 80s. I see "nothing wrong" with them,
but they are going away. Web-based forums are taking their place, in part
due to the features they offer.

However: if we are to contemplate a switch, we should be examining the
criteria closely. Who is hosting? Are they permanent (or very long term)?
Can we switch providers easily? Who pays? Are we getting compelling
features? Will we be spammed or advertised at - and how much? In my view,
these are the questions that should be asked before a switch could or
should be made.

On the other hand, if the community is not largely on board, a parallel
service should not be floated, otherwise we will certainly see a dilution
of community (sorry about the puns - they were initially accidental).

On 13 October 2015 at 11:45, Villo Marmei via Public-List <