[Public-List] PULLEY AT TOP OF MAST

Mike Meinhold via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Oct 18 06:13:34 PDT 2015

Jim,
 On forward and aft sides where the halyard enters the mast, there is an
aluminum plate partially covering the top of the hole, This is to prevent
the wire rope from "jumping" over the sheave (giant pulley).  These plates
get worn, shifted or lost over time and the halyard starts jumping. Many
owners have replaced the wire halyard with all rope (including me).
However, the sheave for the wire is much smaller than that for rope, and
will likely need to be replaced.  We had a group purchase some time ago of
a composite sheave to replace the original.

  In any case, you need to get to the masthead to
   --examine the guard plates and replace or fix them
  -- evaluate your current sheave and see if can handle rope (probably not)

Getting up there without the main halyard can be dangerous, as you are
relying on blocks . You really should have you mast taken down to evaluate
and fix this problem.  This goes to the question of raising the main with
blocks - I assume you are talking about the topping lift for the boom.
That should be a strong and strongly attached block in order to support the
boom and would be adequate to raise the main - I have actually done that
myself when the main halyard was stuck like yours.  It should not be a
permanent fix.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272

Mike
Michael J. Meinhold 301 852 0619 meinhold272 at gmail.com

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 8:21 AM, JAMES DAY via Public-List <