[Public-List] Cockpit Coaming

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Oct 23 19:24:50 PDT 2015

Wes,

On 10/22/15 9:16 AM, Wes Gardner via Public-List wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This has probably been discussed before...I removed my coamings (and winch
> pedestals) yesterday and am considered sailing next year "commando style"
> without them.  I'll see what my wife thinks. We sail mainly in "daysail
> mode" so there's no chance of green water rolling into the cockpit.  I am
> of the "lean against the lifelines" school of steering to leeward.  The
> boat DOES feel quite different without them.  Feels kinda nice, actually.
> That's another discussion....

Sailing on the Chesapeake Bay, I've taken sufficient water over the bow
that I was glad to have the coamings. Even rain is nice to keep out of
the cockpit, given that the deck area is much larger than the cockpit area.

> What I DID find is that mine were installed completely "dry" meaning there
> was no bedding of anything anywhere.  Maybe this was intentional as the
> space between the wood and the glass is a great place for trapping crud.
> What have others done in this area?  I thought about intentionally spacing
> the wood away with a flat washer and cutting some weeps in along the
> bottom?

I used industrial flat rubber gasket material. I believe it was 1/16"
thick neoprene with adhesive on one side. I put it along the upper edge
of the fiberglass. I also caulked the seam from the outside. Doing both
of these seems to keep the water out of the cockpit, and out of the
space between the coaming and the fiberglass.

> Anyone know of a good source for teak?  I have a bandsaw, sabre saw and
> router so I can shape and machine, I'll need to get the pieces joined as I
> don't have access to a jointer.  (I truly miss the one in the boatyard that
> had like an eight foot bed, but those days are gone...)

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org