[Public-List] Boom-end bolt problem

Daniel Sternglass via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Sep 17 18:34:02 PDT 2015

Hello,

After reading a recent posting, I decided I should check-out the bolt at
the end of the boom that secures the mainsheet attach plate. The 1966
boat has always been in fresh water, and the bolt looks perfectly
shiny.  Occasionally I have tightened this bolt, but otherwise I have
not paid much attention to it.

Today I went to the boat and attempted to back the bolt out to see what
kind of shape the bolt and plate were in. The bolt would turn only about
_one revolution_, and then "hard stop." That was enough for me to see
that the hole in the plate is not elongated. It tightens completely, but
only will rotate one turn.

I don't want to over-torque it trying to back it out. It's possible that
it is dissimilar metal corrosion, but if it were corrosion, usually it
would get progressively harder to turn, but this feels like a stop  It
might be the original bolt, I don't specifically remember replacing it.
I would have put some isolating caulking in if I had. If it's feeding
through a bolt or thread tapped in the end-plate, the corrosion may be
on the bolt on the far side of that, and the strength would be retained,
but I am not sure...

Any ideas on what is happening? If you've seen this sort of problem, I'd
appreciate any suggestions. The next 6 weeks is the peak of the sailing
season here in central, NY with much higher winds, so I hope to address
this soon.

Thanks,.

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY