[Public-List] Water intakes (was: Cockpit and scupper drains)

Jonathan Bresler via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Sep 22 05:31:32 PDT 2015

"Had not considered that might happen when the lines to the galley and the
head are full of water from use."

Loops rising higher than the rise from the thru-hull to the raw water pump
might address the issue.  But God help us if those loops lost the water in
them, then it would be much easier to pull air from the head or the galley.

Thank you.   Good to have folks here with much more experience to save us
newbies from possibly horrible mistakes.

Jonathan

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 8:27 AM, Jonathan Bresler <262alberg30 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> George,
>
> Thank you.  Drawing air in place of water would be bad.  Had not
> considered that might happen when the lines to the galley and the head are
> full of water from use.  Air would be bad indeed.  Not much cooling would
> be going on there.
>
> I misspoke regarding the cockpit thruhulls.  Those I do leave open.  They
> are the only ones that I leave open.  Another reason to close and open the
> engine raw water intake each time, is that it nearly forces me to look into
> the bilge, give the engine an enquiring glance, and then I feel, I might as
> well, check the oil and cooling water levels each time.  In short, it
> creates a situation in which I have to choose not to do these checks in
> place of having to choose to open the engine box and then do the checks.
>  Perhaps I overstate the matter....might be the effect of reading too much
> about behavioral economics.
>
> Jonathan
>
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 9:03 PM, George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
> > wrote:
>
>> Jonathan,
>>
>> On 9/21/15 5:12 PM, Jonathan Bresler via Public-List wrote:
>>
>>> Stephen,
>>>
>>> As you mentioned, the 1/2" thru-hulls are quite a piece of work.
>>>
>>> "Whitby did a lot of things over the years to keep the cost of the Alberg
>>> 30 affordable. Perhaps the *worst thing was to make their own half-inch
>>> through-hulls*. They took half of a pipe nipple and peened it over a
>>> fender

--
Jonathan M Bresler
Alberg 30 #262