[Public-List] Prop Question

Mike Meinhold via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Apr 20 05:13:02 PDT 2016

Jonathan,

The uncertainties in some of the information needed  for prop selection
make it difficult to use equations to check the suitability of a particular
prop for the A30 / with various engines..

This list is all the data we need
- EHP -  power required to tow the boat at speed -  can be estimated from
known performance on other engine/prop combinations - probably a 10-20 %
uncertainty
- Engine peformance - torque or power vs RPM - well-known for new engines
- Propeller "open water" performance - thrust and torque vs advance
coefficient - hard to obtain, particularly for 2-bladed props
- estimated shaft losses - may be fairly large
- wake fraction (how much the boat slows the flow to the propeller) -
 unknown, but quite large for our big keel in front of the prop
   (This can be a detailed wake map if we are also concerned about
vibration)
- thrust deduction (how much the propeller adds to the drag on the ship) -
very small effect

Mike