[Public-List] Prop Locked While Sailing

Michael Connolly via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Apr 24 08:44:11 PDT 2016

Hi all,
My two cents with a two blade prop. I would lock it aligned behind the deadwood.  Also, I am forever indebted to David Terrel for teaching me and illustrating each time we went sailing how to hove-to the boat. This is a bit of seamanship all sailors should know. Alberg 30 will do it with jib or both main and jib up.

Once hove-to the boat slowly drifts to leeward on a diagonal. If you have the sea room you can take a nap or use the head.  Remember to hove-to on Starboard tack so you have the right of way, cuz you are still sailing.

Once in this configuration it would be easy on the tranny to get out of gear, and start the engine, lower the sails at your leisure and motor off. For the same reason I like to fix my tiller while moored or docked.................. I would lock the shaft. Why put the unnecessary ware on those components? This is what I see under the lifted stone.
Michael