[Public-List] Spinnaker rigging, pole down haul

Backfin via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Aug 16 05:43:30 PDT 2016

As a foredeck guy on other boats... I'll jump in.

The advantage of having the foreguy (downhaul) rigged from the pole to the mast base is that it doesn't need to be adjusted as the pole swings fore and aft. So it doesn't necessarily need to be double ended (for control aft) for anything other than gybes (and the foredeck guy can do that if needed too since I'm often told how little I do). If thats the case, in theory it could be cleated at the mast. All depends on how many crew consistently shows up and how many strings you want each one to pull for each maneuver.

The disadvantage is that the downhauling purchase is reduced since there is a sharp angle from the pole to the mast base. An arrangement that pulls square to the pole has more oomph to control the pole, but then must be adjusted each time the pole swings.  The A30 pole is still small enough that the mast mounted foreguy works fine and can make life up there a bit simpler. A final disadvantage is that the footwork for a foredeck guy is limited when there is a line running from mid pole to the mast base... there's already enough stuff to trip over up there.

Also, I noticed the tweakers you are referring to... Not sure if its the same as what I've used on J/boats, but a twing is a block that lowers the active spinsheet down to control the leach, not the guy as you mentioned (it goes slack on the guy side or we usually use a snatch block and take it off entirely). It usually doesn't require a winch to control as you are only deflecting the angle of the sheet. 1/4" line is plenty for that. Our sheets are 5/16 spectra and decovered from the snapshackle to just forward of the aft block (at max trim) .

Sorry I puked on your thread.

Cheers!
M@