[Public-List] Mast Rake

Greg Bover via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Feb 14 05:31:33 PST 2016

Use your main halyard as a plumb bob.

> I was wondering if someone would clarify for me what "vertical" means on a
sailboat which doesn't have any reference lines (except perhaps the vague
plane of the waterline). If you are setting the mast rake wrt the waterline,
how do you assess this angle (since it is difficult to see the waterline
from the deck where a person is making the adjustments). Maybe Instead you
establish this angle wrt the lowers? (splitting the angle?) Or maybe on a
calm day afar with a level while the boat is afloat? Or maybe just trial and
error???

Greg Bover
A-30 #114
PENSIVE FLYER