[Public-List] Replacing a mast step

Michael Nikolich via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Feb 23 03:58:50 PST 2016

I am replacing my mast step (the casting had cracked by one of the bolt slots). I am having the new one made from plate metal, with a piece or pieces welded on top that are curved to fit into the bottom of the mast.

The metal shop was thinking stainless steel for strength and corrosion resistance.  Would that be best, or should I stick with aluminum to prevent corrosion issues between it and the aluminum mast and aluminum plate bedded in the deck?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Nikolich
s/v SKYBIRD