[Public-List] navigation (fwd)

Mike Meinhold via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Feb 2 06:53:53 PST 2016

Well said - I agree - dead reckoning while sailing on the Chesapeake is
marginally useful. The precision available is far below the precision
required to stay off the bottom and away from large hard objects.

My most used navigational tools (in combination with the chart) are the the
depth sounder and a hand-held compass or pelorus.  Before I cruise
somehwere I will come up with and note on the chart some bearings to/from
seamarks and landmarks. Whitehall Bay for example -  I know I can tack in
for the mark when it bears below magnetic North. Through the pelorus I can
peer at the mark, or the general area where I know it to be, to get its
bearing.

I have a number of cross-bearings that give me convenient turning points
such as the Magothy Entrance from Sandy Point light. I sail to Baltimore
Light to the line between  channel markers #3 and #4  and the Magothy
entrance.

I do use a  handheld GPS but don't like to rely on it. I have parallel
rules but they are impractical to use in the cockpit while single-hand
sailing

Single-handed sailing on rivers and creeks requires knowing where you are
based on landmarks and navigational aids.  Most of our rivers and creeks
have deep centers, so you can tack up them on a reliable depth sounder.
Single handing I leave a good margin and tack on 8 feet or so.

I mark the chart with reasonable frequency based on all this visual
navigation, so that if fog interefered I would have some hope of finding my
way without a GPS!

Mike
Rinn Duin #272

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Michael Grosh via Public-List <