[Public-List] Bulkheads

Hernán Scarnichia via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Feb 4 19:24:25 PST 2016

Chip,
I just did exactly that on the forward lowers knees last weekend. cut along
the inboard edges and drilled out the rotten plywood, leaving part of the
tabbing in place to locate the new 3/4 G10 knees. as I removed the plywood
I was able to see how bad the tabbing had delaminated from the hull.
cleaned and sanded the inside of the old tabbing as much as I could to get
a better bond.
I sanded to bare fiberglass about 8 inches each side of the knee to bond
more tabbing. I cut into the flange/stringer holding the shelf to allow the
knees to extend below the shelf.
I used G-Flex toughened epoxy thickened with colloidal silica to bond the
new knee to the hull and 4 or 5 layers of 30oz cloth to tab into the hull
and to the shelf flange/stringer.
G10 is hard to cut, I used an angle grinder. I haven't tried drilling yet
but I suspect is not going to be easy.
I would suggest trying to align the new knees as best as you can with the
chainplate direction of pull, mine are not perfectly aligned and will make
it harder to install the chainplates, planning on adding some epoxy to get
a better angle.
here is a picture of the new G10 knee, not perfect but way stronger than
what was there.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Chip Dance via Public-List <