[Public-List] Bulkheads

Jonathan Bresler via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Feb 5 06:20:31 PST 2016

Backing up a moment, Don mentioned:

"The backstay chainplate offers a different problem. There is a moment of
force there because of the design. The top bolt is aft of all the the
others because *the chainplate is angled aft at the top*. Thus if the top
bolt fails from a bad knee, then the leverage is increased on the lower
bolts and shear is more likely. As the chainplate revolves around the
bottom bolt as the others shear, and it holds because there is no longer a
moment to shear it, once straight with the stay, there is a major overload
in a straight pull to cause the shear then, and there is no deck that can
hold that so the backstay flies free."

Needless to say, this scared the "stuffing" out of me particularly as it
does not match what I remember seeing in #262.....hurriedly went to the
boat last night to check.   To my relief, the backstay chainplate is
installed through the deck and bolted to the knee at an angle in line with
the backstay.

Did Whitby change the installation of the backstay chainplate at some point
?

Jonathan

P.S.  backstay chainplate is 1-1/4" x 3/16" x 6" (below deck) with 5/16"
bolts, 1/2" pin in the chainplate and 1/4" 1x19 stainless steel wire
backstay.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Jason S via Public-List <

> I also have had good luck with 3M4000 series UV..Very good seal and no
> cracking or seperation from chainplates or deck areas after 2 seasons.
>
> Jason
> www.svsalacia.blogspot.com
> On Feb 5, 2016 8:05 AM, "via Public-List" <public-list at lists.alberg30.org>
> wrote:
>

> > For caulking chainplates I have tried numerous products over the 38 years
> > we have owned the boat...my current favorite is 3M4000 UV.
> >

> > Mike Lehman
> >
> > ~~/)~/)~~
> >

> > On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 2:56 PM -0800, "Stephen Gwyn via Public-List" <
> > public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:
> >

> > So what are people's favourite sealant? I've been using
> > BoatLife polysulfide sealant. Polyurethane  (3M5200 and Sikaflex)
> > is too permanent. Silicone is permanent enough and once you
> > use it, nothing will stick to where it has been.
> >
> > I was reading a british sailing, which recommended a butyl sealant
> > which stayed sticky indefinitely, meaning that when the seal flexed
> > and split, it would just seal itself again.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > SG

Jonathan M Bresler
Alberg 30 #262