[Public-List] Bulkheads

via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Feb 5 09:01:46 PST 2016

Don

You're right about the epoxy modulus...I asked google what the modulus was and it gave me the value in pascals and I missed a digit when converting to psi...but nonetheless the strength of unreinforced epoxy is still too low to be used structurally.

You bought up a very good point about the aft stay knee.  I'm a little surprised but I don't think there's any collected knowledge that The association can fall back on.  There's been no failures that I'm aware of, hence no knowledge.  There's enough fiberglass covering the wooden knee that its conceivable to me that the connection in some cases is working without the wood playing a role, my hunch.  There's a lot of boats out there that don't maintain the deck seal and no reported problems.  Can anyone add any experience to this?

The mast pumping that occurs when the boat falls off a wave and the load release that occurs when tacking does subject the lower chain plates to cyclic loading.  If the lower chain plates arn't in line with the shrouds there will be moment loading which can work to enlarge bolt holes over time.  Seems like association members when refurbishing their chain plate seals should check for looseness and take action accordingly.  Wet wood in this situation would accelerate the wear.

My two cents
Jim Mennucci

Sent from my iPhone