[Public-List] Mast Support Beam

Jason S via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Feb 8 12:35:14 PST 2016

Wes,

I believe Mike is correct, guy who installed plates didn't fix it properly.
That does not mean that it is sound now. You cannot just change the shape
of the orginal deck shape and lamination and assume it ok. In order for the
deck to deform like that some integrity had to be lost, something had to
give or else it would have maintained it's shape.

When I removed my mast step and top layer and all the rotten core I could
see where the bottom of the core had delaminated when it had become
distorted. Probably well before core turned completely rotten. You'd be
surprised at how well the fiberglass is adhered to wet core...that balsa is
some strong stuff.

Will it ever be an issue....I am not sure anyone can say 100%. These boats
get older each year....things that haven't been a problem may start showing
their age and will eventually need to be addressed.

I still believe that some of the issue has to do with the fact that the
mast and mast step is not sitting centered on the beam.

Jason
On Feb 8, 2016 3:15 PM, "Wes Gardner via Public-List" <