[Public-List] Rig Tension

Mike Lehman via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Feb 8 17:16:24 PST 2016

Here is the link to rig tensions.

http://alberg30.org/maintenance/SparsSailsRigging/tensions.html

I took these tensions while at the dock at a Chesapeake Bay Appreciation
Days event many, many years ago when the Alberg 30s were invited to race
along with the Chesapeake Bay Skipjacks. I recall one time when we had 28
Albergs on the starting line. What fun that was!

US17 was skippered by Read Beigel who was an expert rigger and had the boat
perfectly tuned for almost every wind condition. That is the rig tensions
that I have used on our boat for the past 38 years and it has served me
well.

It is is simple process

Loosen everything
Push the mast as far forward as it will go on the step. (reduces weather
helm).
Get the mast-head directly over the mast-base using the main halyard to
side-to-side to be sure it is plumb. Sight up the mast to make sure it is
not leaning forward or aft.
Tension the upper shrouds equally until the desired tension is achieved.
Tighten the forward lowers until you have a couple of inches of pre-bend at
the spreaders (the forward lowers tend to be the shrouds with the highest
tension).
Go sailing, sight up the mast on each tack, tweak the rig as needed.

DONE!