[Public-List] Mast Support Beam

JS via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Feb 8 17:35:35 PST 2016

Mike,
Because this compression happens with both liner and non-liner boats I feel that Bruce's repair actually does not address the deck compression issue. His design helps the wooden beam and it seems to work very well. However, the sagging of the cabin top seams to happening on all Alberg 30s regardless of vintage or design( liner vs non-liner). And is obviously a design flaw.
  If you are comfortable with leaving it compressed and as designed...that is just fine no argument here. I feel that it will continue to sag, however slowly, until something fails. It would seem hard to maintain rig tension with a deck that is constantly, however slight, in on itself. I would never suggest that it just be left alone. These boats are getting old.
Because my boat is approaching 45+ yrs old and I am finding many items of poor build quality, especially in beam area, the further I did into my boat, I am choosing to go ahead and repair the compression. I recommend other repair there compression as well. I am adding some support in the way of an additional beam just aft of the main beam with knees that will extend down to the bulkhead. Then my mast step will be completely supported. I believe if its worth doing it is worth doing right. I, and many, have a deck that is deformed/compressed from factory design. This is a critical area that supports my rig, for me to feel comfortable for years to come I will repair it properly and give the mast step complete support. Then I will have a deck that will not flex or sag under tension.
Jason #457