[Public-List] mast support in liner boats

Anders Bro via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Feb 14 04:06:48 PST 2016

I was wondering if someone would clarify for me what "vertical" means on a sailboat which doesn't have any reference lines (except perhaps the vague plane of the waterline). If you are setting the mast rake wrt the waterline, how do you assess this angle (since it is difficult to see the waterline from the deck where a person is making the adjustments). Maybe Instead you establish this angle wrt the lowers? (splitting the angle?) Or maybe on a calm day afar with a level while the boat is afloat? Or maybe just trial and error???

Thanks for any thoughts.

Anders

Sent from my iPhone