[Public-List] propeller

Don Campbell via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Feb 23 07:30:21 PST 2016

For those interested in playing around with the engineering  and the way you
fit out your boat try this: rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm
It is an excel spread sheet that allows you to calculate what you need for
the motor you have and the mass of the boat,  considering waterline length
too. What you will find is that you cannot use more than 16 HP with an AL30
because of the bow wave. The biggest opening is 13" available for a prop, so
you can play with the pitch and rpms with that as a limit. There are a
couple of things that do matter and the first is that engineers allow for
50% slip in all of their calculations. I can cope with slip at slow speeds
but dislike that at higher speeds so I have a 13-8 prop which slips less at
faster speeds than slower speeds. It moves the boat well. Michigan Wheel
also has a prop calculator if you go to their web site. The other thing that
is considered is the tunnel a prop works in and the engineering suggests 15%
of the tunnel to be without prop so that the venturi and laminar flow of
liquids around the hull and prop works well.  Since the prop is below the
hull and behind the keel, the tunnel is not quite so well defined on our
boat as some, and the 13" prop does not seem to be a problem for this.
Janski had a Michigan MP3 prop he liked. It has much more blade area than
some other designs, but is still a 2 blade prop.
Don