[Public-List] Bulkheads

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Feb 2 19:24:22 PST 2016

We put bronze bushings in the delrin sheaves of ship and classic yacht blocks specifically to increase the effective bearing surface of the sheave pins.  Seems like bushings on the chain plate bolts are a good idea for the same reason.

I did the same sort of thing for my Folkboats wooden mast... I inlaid white oak in the Sitka spruce where the shroud tang bolts were... My hope was that the harder wood might prevent the bolts from pulling down through the softwood when under extreme loads.

They did anyway when the boat was fighting for her life in the hurricane.  I found the bolts holes were like long slits when I got the broken mast back with the wreck.

Well it's all repaired now...

Gord 426 Surprise