[Public-List] navigation

Timothy Peek via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Jan 31 11:05:20 PST 2016

Good Saturday afternoon,

As a new guy, I need to ask some silly questions, but very important. Can anyone provide me some resources or book recommendations to learn how to navigate with nautical charts. I do not want to be relying on GPS and electronics. It feels lame and like cheating lol.

I am very familiar with land navigation and orienteering. So I am comfortable with a topographic map, declination and a compass to be dropped off in the woods and figure out where to go and where I am. I just need to transfer these skills to the water on a boat, which I am sure the foundational skills are the same. Just accounting for tide, wind and actually sailing a charted course is a whole new thing for me.

Thanks! Looking forward to the spring.

Tim
NEVERMORE #219