[Public-List] chain plate bolts and bulkhead rot

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Jan 3 09:12:55 PST 2016

Hello Steve, happy new year.

It appears you've got real issues to deal with; good for you for paying
close attention.

The bulkhead being out of it's position is not something I've heard of... My
first thought is that the situation is the result of some extreme strain on
the boat which put things the way they are and as you say, long habit on the
part of the plywood is keeping it that way.  I suppose it is possible that
your boat was assembled that way, but I've never heard of another with that
issue.  I've always described our boats as well built, but not finely built.

I can't open the picture link, so can't offer any further and more specific
opinion.

When you say you removed the bulkhead ceiling and floor bolts - I'm not sure
what you mean.  Given that your boat is #551 and therefore a 'liner' boat
like mine, when you say 'ceiling' do you mean the liner under the bunks?
Glass hulled boats don't normally have ceiling work, and because our ballast
is encapsulated we don't have floors.

With regard to the mast step beam; if you think you've got to do something
with that, you should not only slack away the standing rigging... You should
lower the mast completely...which is something it's a very good idea to do
at regular intervals anyway.

Where are you?  I'm doing my Voyager Self Steering and Epifanes Yacht
Coatings thing at the Toronto International Boat Show next week with not a
lot to do in the evenings.  If you're in Toronto perhaps I could come to see
your boat...

Gord #426 Surprise

On 2016-01-02, 9:50 PM, "Steve Wyant via Public-List"
<public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:

> After reading the previous discussions about chain plate bolts I decided to
> check mine. I removed the bolts and spacers on both the port and starboard
> chain plates (mast head shrouds) and found rot around the bolt holes. I was
> considering replacing the soft wood and then use a much larger piece of 1/2²
> Iroko as spacers on both sides that will be bolted to the bulkhead around the
> replacement piece. See pictures at link below.

One of my concerns is; the
> starboard bulkhead is out of the upper grove on the ceiling. It has a bad
> memory or something because it doesn't want to go back without a great deal of
> force. I originally thought about replacing the bulkheads so I removed the
> bulkhead ceiling and floor bolts to see if I could remove the bulkhead but it
> wouldn¹t budge. Maybe I need to jack the beam up. Would I loosen the rest of
> the stays and shrouds to do that? I'm also concerned about the hull to
> bulkhead tabs. The tab on the starboard bulkhead is crooked and not
> attached. I posted pictures on my shutterfly site. Any thoughts on a proper
> course of action would be greatly appreciated. Link to pictures:
> https://stevewyantphotography.shutterfly.com/pictures/2843Thanks,Stevehull #
> 551

These businesses
> support your