[Public-List] VHF, DSC and GPS

Kris Coward via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Jan 25 14:10:23 PST 2016

I got a Garmin unit a few years back that spoke NMEA 0183; it was listed
as being serial/RS-232, but it had only 4 wires, and the message set in
the manual was NMEA 0183. I wired it into my VHF (though I had to do
some terrible things with crimps and terminal blocks, since the plug and
socket types were mismatched, and it worked for a few months before it
overheated and stopped working entirely. I got another one to replace
it, and wired it in the same as the first one, but it would appear that
the first one burned out the radio end of the connection, and my VHF no
longer has a working NMEA input (though it works otherwise).

I've neither made time for a more detailed post-mortem on that
situation, nor have I set aside budget for a VHF (and/or AIS) that'd
give me the lost GPS functionality for DSC distress calls.

I have an MMSI, and the Canadian Coast Guard also has a boat description
for the MMSI, so apart from the GPS failure, I'm fully set up for DSC
distress calls. I can't say that I've ever done much (i.e. anything) by
way of routine DSC calling, though I got my VHF license just as it was
starting to get rolled out, and the feature set seems nice.

-K

Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/