[Public-List] Chainplates

via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Jan 27 18:53:55 PST 2016

Actually the chain plate failure starts with  a bearing failure.  Caused by softened wood which allows the bolts to pull thru the wood.  The bolts shear when they pass thru the slots in the fiberglass deck.  Everyone  that I know that's lost a mast because of chain plates has had soft bulkheads.

Again, When I re-did my chain plates, I used 5/16" bolts with the correct grip length (no threads in contact with nonmetallic) and an aluminum backing plate that captures all 3 bolts (say 1.5" x .25"x 8 or so inches long).  I used aluminum because you can drill it.  I drilled the first hole thru the backing plate , made the first  bolted connection to hold everything together and aligned, and then transferred drilled the rest of the holes thru the chain plate into the backing plate.  The backing plate greatly increases bearing area compared to washers when it comes to bolt pull out  making the approach a significant improvement....my thoughts

Jim mennucci

Sent from my iPhone