[Public-List] companionway sliding cover

vmarmei via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Jun 5 16:04:34 PDT 2016

Yes Sir.....Me have done that.

OK....Very,Very,Very,Very carefully you start un pealing the out side
of the hatch cover with a good sharp wood chisel and without going
through the inside layer of your teak..... leave about 1/16-1/8 inch
old plywood intact. Do this by HAND layer by layer....only the rotten
and loose wood...NO hand grinder...NO hammer....use only a wood
mallet to tap the rotten material (That is if your inside hatch is ok
or slightly water logged). Do this right all over the top and the
outside frame....leave the front wood face also in place but carve
the top plywood out from the edge. You have to take the hatch out
from the tracks....put it on a work table and support the inside
layer of plywood with your softest and better pillow.
Ok-2....now that you have the outside peeled off you have the
remaining hatch with the proper curvature ready to be fiber
glassed....standard procedure 5-6 layers to fill the hole....last
layer goes over the edges....and then Gel coat the whole thing. When
out side is cured.....take your attention to the inside the
hatch....straight forward....light sand paper and teak oil or
varnish. Mine is white gellcoat with 8 layers of mat and
fiberglass....strong enough for me to walk on it. I also Gellcoated
my Turtle top and screwed Teak Wood slats on top of it ....also
strong enough to walk and bounce on it.
  Take care
Villo A-30 Canada