[Public-List] Two Winches on the Mast

Bill Wallace via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Jun 29 10:29:19 PDT 2016

I'm pretty happy with my setup - has to be done in rope for at least the lower section, but could easily use a wire halyard for the upper part, and some of the specific details involve me having roller furling that has the jib stay on it - you could adjust it for taking the jib down fairly easily.  Jib halyard goes up to the top from the jib, then down and there is a loop tied in about 2' above the cleat, and a small block attached to that loop.  The line then continues down to the base of the mast, and is tied at an appropriate tension for being moored (eg just enough to hold the sail up, but sagging at the bottom a bit.).  It then returns up to the block on the mast, and when I tighten it for sailing/racing, I get 2:1 tension, which seems to be enough.  Would be easy to arrange 3:1 tension by having it go through a block at the base of the mast instead.  I then tie at the cleat and it is fairly easy to setup racing tension for various wind conditions.
If you normally lower the sail, between uses, then using a separate line from the actual halyard as the tensioning line.  The loop is normally low enough that it doesn't interfere with lowering the main - but on mine, because the halyard is actually too short overall, I have to attach a temporary line to lower the jib - not a problem for me as I only do it a couple of times a year.
If you don't like having a knot in the line, you can always use a short section of 5/16" line in a loop and tie a climbing hitch like a klemheist (what I use) or a prussik to attache the block to the halyard.
If using a wire halyard, just attach the block to the end of the wire.
Bill.Alberg 30, #626