[Public-List] A Question of Fuel Tanks

Anders Bro via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Mar 24 10:20:59 PDT 2016

Hi All,

Over the past few years I have been reading "Practical Sailor" as well
as have noted many comments about problems with fuel tanks, fuel
degradation due to aging, fuel additives, whether to store full or not,
best materials from which a fuel tank should be made, along with many
other concerns.

A while back when I was ferrying a new-to-me Alberg 35 from Sommesville
to Swans Island (both in Maine), the boat in question had been sitting
for years and the fuel was certainly suspect and so I opted to buy a
portable fuel tank such as one uses for an outboard engine (rather than
going through the labor intensive procedure of cleaning the system), and
plumbed that into the supply of the Atomic 4 for that windless trip.

The more that I have considered it, the more I like the idea of such a
portable tank. It sidesteps most all of the issues of a built-in fuel
tank. I expect there is only one situation in which it might not be
ideal - one in which a sailor typically uses the engine for frequent and
extended periods. I expect that most folks don't use but a few gallons
of fuel per year and so such a small fuel tank would ensure fresh fuel,
no spillage, and so on.

I am wondering if this practice is common, and if not why not? Are there
any drawbacks (safety perhaps?) that I am neglecting to consider?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Anders