[Public-List] A Question of Fuel Tanks

Jonathan Bresler via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Mar 24 16:46:45 PDT 2016

Agree with you regarding the amount of fuel that one uses in a year.   From
May 17th, 2015, the day I bought the boat and filled the 12 gallon tank
till the boat was hauled for the winter on November 24th, used less than 10
gallons of fuel while running the Yanmar 2GM20F for a total of 33 hours
over 22 outings.

Jonathan

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Gordon Laco via Public-List <

> Hello Anders,
>
> Using an outboard motor type fuel tank would work fine, so long as you
> never
> put it below decks, never kept it in the cockpit well, rather restricted it
> to being up on deck where the heavier than air vapours from it's vent are
> more likely to go over the side than into your cockpit well or bilge.
>
> Using and keeping a tank like that anywhere but up on deck would represent
> an extreme danger.
>
> The danger could be reduced to 'normal' by securely fixing the tank into
> the
> boat, finding a way to extend it's filler up to the deck, and similarly
> running a secure vent line up to a safe exit point.
>
> Gord #426 Surprise
>

> On 2016-03-24, 1:20 PM, "Anders Bro via Public-List"
> <public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:
>

> > Hi All,
> >
> > Over the past few years I have been reading "Practical Sailor" as well
> > as have noted many comments about problems with fuel tanks, fuel
> > degradation due to aging, fuel additives, whether to store full or not,
> > best materials from which a fuel tank should be made, along with many
> > other concerns.
> >
> > A while back when I was ferrying a new-to-me Alberg 35 from Sommesville
> > to Swans Island (both in Maine), the boat in question had been sitting
> > for years and the fuel was certainly suspect and so I opted to buy a
> > portable fuel tank such as one uses for an outboard engine (rather than
> > going through the labor intensive procedure of cleaning the system), and
> > plumbed that into the supply of the Atomic 4 for that windless trip.
> >
> > The more that I have considered it, the more I like the idea of such a
> > portable tank. It sidesteps most all of the issues of a built-in fuel
> > tank. I expect there is only one situation in which it might not be
> > ideal - one in which a sailor typically uses the engine for frequent and
> > extended periods. I expect that most folks don't use but a few gallons
> > of fuel per year and so such a small fuel tank would ensure fresh fuel,
> > no spillage, and so on.
> >
> > I am wondering if this practice is common, and if not why not? Are there
> > any drawbacks (safety perhaps?) that I am neglecting to consider?
> >
> > Thanks for any thoughts.
> >
> > Anders

Jonathan M Bresler
Alberg 30 #262