[Public-List] Thoughts on a gps placement

Rod via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Mar 27 16:37:54 PDT 2016

On a previous boat I used one of these mounted just inside the companion way then the GPS unit could face out to the cockpit but quickly pushed aside to go below or close the boat up.
Very solid build.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=59988&cat=3,43597,43601,60167,59988

Cheers,  Rod

When closed, the panel is over the icebox, and usable from within the boat. When swung open, it occupies about half of the companionway, but I have no problem going up or down while it is deployed. Mounted in the top of the panel is a Garmin 741 Chartplotter. Mounted below that is my VHF radio. There is  also space for a redundant depth gauge, but I have not hooked it up.
The panel is piano-hinged to a teak shelf unit which is mounted to the bulkhead over the icebox. I use brass door hooks (hook & eye) to secure the panel in the closed position, as well as the open position. In the past, I used bungee chords for this. Jay Davenport Revolution, A30 #526