[Public-List] Retractable Stay Sail Forstay

Don Campbell via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri May 20 05:03:49 PDT 2016

Harry:
    Denis Furniss, an employee of Whitby BW,  bought hull number 7 (and had
sail number 20 something on the boat) had a piece of white oak under the
deck. It was about 14" wide and 2" thick. Denis was a good boat builder in
his own right and owned his own yard that produced all of the Northern
boats. He did not have any stay on that reinforcement but a windlass.
    The sail plan of the Alberg 30, as designed, has already been modified
by Kurt Hansen when he built them, by moving the rig aft about 12". Alberg
designed the sailplan as a fractional rig and because of Hansen's experience
with Folkboats on Humber Bay, he wanted the big foresail to  cope with those
light air days so common in Toronto. He added the sail area without
contacting Alberg, who apparently was not too happy but said it worked out
not too badly. The net upshot of this change was that the center of effort
was moved aft, and so the AL30 has a tendency to produce weather helm. There
is no reason to think the boat will sail better with less sail area forward,
and there is nothing preventing a sailor from using a small sail on the
forestay.  If the wind is such that you need to reduce sail to less than an
LP100, then development of a slot is not nearly as critical as in lighter
air.  You are probably wanting some control for steering and that is all you
need from a storm sail on the forestay.
    My experience has been that one can sail with a full sized main and an
LP150 up to about 15 knots and have the boat under good control. I use a
main and LP135 up to about 22 knots and whether I reef the main is dependent
upon the course set and wind direction. and with winds higher that, I take
down the main and still sail the 135. How the waves develop in Lake Ontario
will determine the comfort of the ride. If we take out guests , or
non-sailors, or want an easy day, I will use the LP135 from the start, and I
always sail with a full main on those days.
Don Campbell