[Public-List] Sails and Wind Speeds -- What do you do ?

Bill Wallace via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri May 20 06:04:06 PDT 2016

I reef my main at some point depending on direction/wind speed, by 22 kts I usually have a double reef in, set at the position of a normal 3rd reef - that is, very heavily reefed main, and partially furled jib (I sail with a 120% all the time).  I don't like removing the main entirely as I find it interferes with coming about - with just a jib, when you come about, on the transition side I found I was going very deep before building up enough speed to resume progress properly.  When racing or in any other short tacking situation, that results in losing a lot of ground.
The other reason I prefer to roll up the jib some is that it makes the physical work of tacking easier - the main can just be left alone, or perhaps the traveller adjusted only, but it isn't critical, and if you jib is rolled to 80% or so, then it comes across very easily and is much easier to tighten to the correct position.  It is also less stress on the sail itself in that position because the total stress on the sail is lower (although I admit that the sail has some additional tension along the foot and leech in less re-inforced positions, and the luff is not as clean is it should be).
If you do that, don't forget to move your sheet leads forward - a rule of thumb is to draw a line from the middle of the actual luff of the sail as rolled (eg tack to head positions of the sail where it meets the forestay).  The goal is to make the sail fly at top and bottom and just start to luff at the same time as you go upwind.
Bill.