[Public-List] Hull deck joint

Greg Bover via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon May 23 04:10:09 PDT 2016

My boat (#114) was built the same year and has the same stainless steel trim
strip screwed on. I remove it every couple of years to freshen the varnish
on the toe rail. The first time, I sanded it down to bare wood and also
heavily puttied the joint with Dolphinite, which remains flexible. At the
scuppers there was a hard compound added at some point to bring the level
flush with the top of the trim piece. It is cracking now and I'll replace
that one of these years, but mostly the water just runs under the trim,
which doesn't seem to be a problem because the Dolphinite keeps it out of
the joint. By the way, there is no evidence of exposed Masonite, I think the
core stops short of the edge.

Greg Bover
A-30 #114
PENSIVE FLYER