[Public-List] companionway sliding cover

Wes Gardner via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue May 24 18:03:48 PDT 2016

Hi John,

Mine was probably in about the same condition...there was no way you'd want to stand on it! Old ratty plywood. Now it's "strong, like bull!" I'm not near my computer that has some pics but I can post them up later. Here's what I did - cut out two "ribs" that matched the original arc across the top. I used poplar from Lowe's as it gets incased in cloth/epoxy. The ribs pulled the old sagging nasty plywood back into shape. They are 3/4" x about 1" high. These were epoxied in place with nice fillets so the cloth would go up and over them. It also adds ALOT of strength. I then clothed the thing inside and out. Sanded, faired, painted. I still need to fool with the attachments back to the track. For me this was the least expensive alternative as I no longer have a shop capable of machining wood to the degree that I would want. Plus, if you're a racer, my repair is light and very strong and doesn't look too bad.

Wes
Griffin's Faith #196

Sent from my iPad